About this cultivar:
Hesperantha coccinea 'Jennifer' had its Royal Horticultural Society Award of Garden Merit re-confirmed in 1999. What did the trial report say?..."Herbaceous perennial to 60cm tall, forming a clump of erect, grassy light green leaves, and upright stems bearing louse spikes of cup shaped, mid pink flowers up to 6cm wide".
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Almost any soil, grows well in Ballyrobert
- Flowers: August, September, October, November
- Other features: Royal Horticultural Society Award of Garden Merit (RHS AGM), Grows well in Ballyrobert
- Hardiness: H4 - Hardy through most of the UK (-10 to -5°C), Fully hardy, grows well in Ballyrobert
- Habit: Clump forming
- Foliage: Semi evergreen
- Height: 30 - 60 cm (1 - 2 ft)
Spread: 30 - 45 cm (1 - 1.5 ft)
- Time to full growth: 2 to 5 years
- Plant type: Herbaceous Perennial
- Colour: Green, pink
- Goes well with: -
About this genus:
Hesperantha is a genus of flowering plants in the Iris family (Iridaceae) that used to be called Schizostylis. The genus name is derived from the Greek words hesperos, meaning "evening", and anthos, meaning "flower".
There are approximately 79 species, mostly native to southern Africa, but with four species reaching tropical Africa. All except one grow from corms.
The synonym Schizostylis is widely used in horticulture for the single rhizomatous species S. coccinea, widely cultivated as a garden flower, and with numerous cultivars. The common name "Kaffir lily" is best avoided, as "kaffir" is an offensive racial term in Africa! - stick to river lily or crimson flag.
Hardy plants with us, they like moisture but they'll grow almost anywhere that isn't a dark room or a swimming pool. They make excellent cut flowers. These semi-evergreen bulbs promise to ease the sadness that comes at summer’s end by offering a burst of fresh autumn colour - I've seen these in flower on Christmas day. My father loves the pink cutivars in autumn - I hate pink in autumn and will only tolerate red or yellow flowers! Make up your own mind!