About this cultivar:
Persicaria amplexicaulis 'JS Caliente' is a robust, upright, cultivar with mid-green leaves and long-stalked spikes of firey red flowers from that last for ages. Gets its name from the Spanish for hot and its breeder Jan Spruyt.
- Position: Full sun, partial shade
- Soil: Almost any soil, grows well in Ballyrobert
- Flowers: July, August, September, October
- Other features: Bees and Butterflies
- Hardiness: Fully hardy, grows well in Ballyrobert
- Habit: Clump forming
- Foliage: Semi evergreen
- Height: 45 - 75 cm (1.5 - 2.5 ft)
- Spread: 45 - 75 cm (1.5 - 2.5 ft)
- Time to full growth: 2 to 5 years
- Plant type: Herbaceous Perennial
- Colour: Green, red, pink
- Goes well with: --
About this genus:
Persicaria is a genus of flowering plants in the knotweed family (Polygonaceae). Plants of the genus are known commonly as smartweeds, knotweed, fleece flower, or buckwheat. It has a cosmopolitan distribution, with species occurring nearly worldwide. The genus was recently segregated -so many of you old folk probably know it as Polygonum!
The genus Persicaria has many weedy species and somewhat of a bad reputation. However, as with any family, there are always some good members. We think we have found them!
Persicaria leaves are often multi-colored and often marked with dark centers and silver chevrons. This versatile genus will most likely grow anywhere that isn't a pond or a dark room. Other than an occasional haircut Persicaria is a low maintenance plant, that seems to look at home anywhere you plant it.